Guess the proverb (Hajdú Zita)

 

Guess the proverb

I was inspired by the television game show Get the message.

I used proverbs because I think they are perfect in length for this game. Also, because they are challenging but not unsolvable.

 

Preliminaries

Number of players: at least 6

Age/ Proficiency Level: B1+

Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Play Time: 30 minutes

 

Preparation

I create cards with English proverbs on them.

I also bring some small papers that players can write on.

We divide the class into groups of 3 and the groups will compete with each other.

 

Object of the game

The goal of the game is to get points by guessing the proverbs on the cards.

 

Roles

One player will be the ‘guesser’ who has to guess the proverb.

The others will be the ‘helpers’.

 

 

Rules of Play

Helpers have to look at the card containing the proverb and write one word on their piece of paper that they think will help the guesser guess the proverb. It can be an actual word that is in the proverb, but they can also summarize it with one word. The helpers cannot discuss what they write, they have to do it on their own. If they are done, they give their pieces of paper to the guesser who can read them aloud.

 

Scoring

If the guesser can guess the proverb correctly, the team gets 1 point. The winner will be the team that manages to gain 5 points first.


Example

·       Proverb: An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Helpers’ possible words: apple, doctor

 

·       Proverb: Best things in life are free.

Helpers’ possible words: free, inestimable

 

·       Proverb: Clothes do not make the man.

Helpers’ possible words: clothes, personality

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nakal by Jonnie